- Dr. Peter Bruno, M.H.S. 1959
For outstanding achievement in the field o f medicine. The founder of North Suffolk Cardiology Associates. This group of ten coronary specialists serve the Smithtown, Three Village and Port Jefferson area. He is board certified in internal medicine, cardiology and nuclear medicine. Dr. Bruno has served as Chief of Cardiology at Walter Mathers Hospital in Port Jefferson and as a professor at SUNY Stony Brook Medical School. For exemplary service to the community and his profession he provides care for the needy. A long term member of the American Heart Association and the American Association of Cardiology.
- Michael Hanna B.H.S. 1969 For extraordinary achievement as a firefighter. He has served, with distinction, in the New York CityFire Department since 1983.and received two citations for fire rescue and was involved with the WorldTradeCentersearch and rescue detail. He is chairperson of the MassapequaFire Department’s Board of Commissioners and a member and officer of the MFD for over 25 years. Member, MassapequaParkEmergency Operations Committee. For exemplary service to the community: coach: MassapequaMustangs; St Rose CYO basketball; MassapequaPolice Athletic League Lacrosse League. Director, past treasurer and current President of the Massapequa High Schools Hall of Fame Inc).
- Philip “Anthony” Heald M.H.S. 1962 For extraordinary achievement in the field of theater and acting. Currently starring in the TV Show Boston Public playing the role of vice principal. He has starred in over ten highly rated movies in the past ten years: 1994 The Client; 1993 The Pelican Brief; 1992 Whisper in the Dark; 1996 A Time to Kill. Universally known as a character actor specializing in Shakespearian roles and parts requiring a British accent. He has appeared in film, TV and Broadway Sstage roles for over 20 years. For exemplary service to the community, his family and his profession.
- Steve Labriola B.H.S. 1980
For extraordinary achievement in the field of public service. Elected to the New YorkStateAssembly in 1996. He represents the 12th Assembly District, which includes Massapequa, MassapequaPark, Farmingdale, Bethpageand Plainedge. He has served as Town of Oyster Bay Directorof Operations, Town Planning Board member and as the Assistant to the Town Board. As our community’s representative in Albany, he has secured numerous grants that have assisted our community organizations and the Massapequa Public Schools. For exemplary service to the community and his family:. Big Brothers and Big Sisters, Kiwanis Club, Knights of Columbus, NassauCountyTrafficSafety Board.
- Peggy Noonan, B.H.S. (Class of 1968) For extraordinary achievement in journalism and writing. Author of books, articles and essays on the political process and famous political leaders. Ms. Noonan is currently a columnist for the Wall Street Journal. Her work has been published in Newsweek, Forbes, Time, The Washington Post and The New York Times. She was special assistant to President Regan in 1984-86 and President George Bush’s chief speechwriter in his 1988 presidential campaign. In 1996 Noonan was one of ten historians and writers who contributed essays on the American presidency for the book Character Above All. For exemplary service to M.H.S.. students as a speaker for scholastic programs.
- Laura Savini, B.H.S. 1982
For extraordinary achievement in the field of television broadcasting. Vice President for Communications, WLIW Ch.21. Ms Savini began her career as a public relations specialist with New York firms Pezzano & Company and the Fleischmann Hillard Agency. An Italian American Women’s “Rising Star” award winner. The American Public Television Stations Award Program honored Ms. Savini for PBS Productions Focusing on National PBS Programs. She is seen nationally as a host on PBS fund raising specials. She has also hosted Metro Guide Call In programs. For exemplary service to the community: advisory boards for Telicare, the television station for the Diocese of Rockville Centre and Help for the Poor.
- Dr. Robert G. Voigt, M.H.S. 1979 For extraordinary achievement in medicine and medical education. Currently assistant professor of pediatrics at the MayoGraduateSchoolof Medicine. He serves as a consultant to the Mayo Department of Pediatrics. Received “Excellence in Teaching Award” from the Mayo Clinic and the BaylorCollegeof Medicine. He is an author and collaborator of numerous articles and book chapters in the field of pediatric neurodevelopmental disabilities. He has been recognized as a presenter on “Learning Disabilities”, “Autism” and on “Hyperactivity’’ in Children” at national meetings and conventions. For exemplary service to parents and communities in caring for children with developmental disabilities and as a youth basketball, baseball and football coach.